Who Are We?
The Australian Islamic Centre is an initiative by the Newport Islamic Society (NIS). The NIS is an Islamic organization located in Melbourne’s West. The NIS has been active in serving the community since it was established in 1989. As a non-for-profit organization, the NIS carries out various activities in order to cater for the local Muslim community and for the better of the wider community.
Some of these include:
- A mosque for all prayers.
- Quran school- Throughout the week. Click on the following link for more information http://www.thedawn.com.au/.
- Saturday School- Quran and Arabic for children. Click on the following link for more information http://www.salamschool.com.au/.
- Weekly Youth lectures
- Youth and leadership Camps- Twice annually
- Annual Hajj trips
- Annual Umrah Trips
- Eid festivals- Twice annually
Why the new centre?
Our current prayer hall is no longer able to support the growing Islamic community and does not meet the basic needs of Muslim residents anymore. Our community has grown to more than 10,000 Muslims in this area from few hundreds since they first arrived in 1967.
The Newport Islamic Society has been working hard for the last 10 years to establish an Islamic Centre in the western suburbs of Melbourne. With the grace of Allah, an appropriate site has been purchased from the local city council and a planning permit obtained to build the centre on 17th of Feb 2009.
The new Centre (Australian Islamic Centre) will have considerable benefits to the entire community in Hobsons Bay and specific benefits to the local Muslim Community. It will also have benefits with reaching effects to many residents of Melbourne.